The Fathering Project
Lathlain Primary School has our own Dads Group under the banner of the Fathering Project.
For a full and in-depth rundown of what the Fathering Project aims to achieve head over to their website, thefatheringproject.org. However, a brief outline is below.
The Fathering Project aims to improve child development outcomes by inspiring and equipping fathers and father figures to effectively engage with their kids.
The Fathering Project delivers resources, programs and events specific to the engagement style and needs of dads and father-figures.
Our purpose is to partner with individuals and communities to change lives for the better.
- We fund high-impact research to understand how fathers impact their children’s lives.
- We deliver programs and services to improve family relationships and connectedness to change children’s lives for the better.
- We build community awareness about the crucial impact fathers have on their children’s lives through delivering awareness campaigns and providing access to research-based information and resources.
- We develop tools and resources to support fathers, families and communities.
- We advocate to governments and industry for increased awareness of fathers’ roles in society, work and family and for funding and resources.
- We support professionals who work with fathers, children, and families to prevent long term social and emotional issues and build strong and enduring relationships in families and between fathers and children.
It’s all about the kids:
Studies show that the cumulative effect of improved fathering can influence a number of positive outcomes across the board including:
● Improved child development
● Improved health outcomes
● Improved school results
● Improved functionality of at-risk families
● Reduced substance abuse
● Reduced crime
● Reduced suicide & self-harm.
● We’re taking a research-backed and preventative approach to improve the lives of children, by engaging fathers and father-figures – inspiring and equipping them to be the best they can be.
For every child in Australia to have an effective father figure.
● We care about people
● We act with integrity in what we do
● We act as an inspiration to fathers to be the best they can be
● Our Impact
● We help fathers to be the best that they can be by engaging them with our activities and resources. The knock-on effect of this is clear; better outcomes for kids.”
The Fathering Project is run by volunteers and we are always looking for new members. You can join by either emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by joining our Facebook group called Lathlain Association for Dads (LADS).
The group aims to have two meetings a term. The first event is usually on the Thursday evening of week 4, a Dads only event. And the second event is a family event on the weekend of week 8. We were always looking for new and fun ideas for either event.
We see the Dads event as a way for fathers and father figures to
● Exchange ideas
● Discuss parenting
● Make bonds and friendships
● Meet the dads of their childrens’ friends
● Have a good time
The family day is just about having fun with your kid(s), strengthening those bonds. Hopefully the term 4 event will be a camp out!
Once a year we host a Bunnings Sausage Sizzle, on the Saturday before Fathers’ Day. This traditionally is the biggest one of the year. The money raised from this event helps fund the next year’s worth of events, and relies on our members manning the stall.