STEM Club is held on a weekday after school from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Students from years 4 to 6 are selected based on enthusiasm, independence and skill.
There are only approximately 30 places available each year and once invited, students are welcome to attend the entire year.
STEM Club is suited most to student who will thrive on additional challenges and are able to work independently and with others exceptionally well.
Students may attend a single year during their time at Lathlain or may be selected for additional years to assist the flow of the program and the students’ progress.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in various activities including Scratch, Tinkercad, SweetHome3D, Kodu Game Lab, Microbits, Grok Learning, Robotics, Circuits, Makey Makey and more.
Contact Mrs Ionascu if you have any further inquiries (Digital Technologies Specialist) Mirela.Ionascu@education.wa.edu.au
STEM Club 2021 – Monday 3pm to 4pm in Library
All parents/carers are required to access SeeSaw for communication purposes. Students invited to join Stem Club 2021 will be added to a new SeeSaw Classroom.
2021 Application Form is now CLOSED.
Follow along from home!
Students who wish to demonstrate their enthusiasm, independence and skills or are curious as to what happens in STEM Club are invited to follow along from home.
All students in Year 3 to Year 6, with updated third party consent, are provided with teacher-managed accounts for programs such as Scratch, Tinkercad and Minecraft.
When deciding on your own project focus on a solution to a real-world problem. Consider the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals THE 17 GOALS | Sustainable Development (un.org) and focus on a small problem you or people are you have.
Scratch (free) Scratch – Imagine, Program, Share (mit.edu)
Follow the instructions to create the scratch games from Code Club AU
- Module 1 (Boat Race + pick your own)
- Module 2 (pick your own x2)
- Module 3 (pick your own x2)
- Create your own games or animations
Tinkercad (free) Tinkercad | Create 3D digital designs with online CAD | Tinkercad
- Log in to Tinkercad and create your own 3D designs
- Log in accounts available from DiT classroom password booklets
SweetHome3D (free) Sweet Home 3D – Draw floor plans and arrange furniture freely
- Download SweetHome3D onto a desktop or laptop.
- Install the additional models (with assistance from adult)
- Watch tutorial videos to learn the basics.
- Create your own architectural design such as a home or landscape.
KoduGame Lab (free) Kodu Game Lab | KoduGameLab
- Download KoduGame Lab
- Complete tutorials available in software
- Create your own game
MakeCode Arcade Microsoft MakeCode Arcade
- Complete available tutorials
- Create your own arcade game
- Share the link with friends
Minecraft (free) Homepage | Minecraft: Education Edition
- Download Minecraft Education Edition onto computer or tablet device
- Log in with your education email
- eg firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete lessons and tutorials
- Create your own design and world
- Coding with your agent lessons available from link below
- Access to lessons for coding in Minecraft Computer Science Subject Kit | Minecraft: Education Edition
Alice Alice – Tell Stories. Build Games. Learn to Program.
- Download onto computer or laptop device
- Create animations using code
- Watch the “How To” videos HowTo – Alice
- Create a short animation
Tinkering with Old Tech
- With permission of adults, take apart old tech and see how it is put together and how it works.
- Guess what they item used to do
- Take pictures as you remove parts and pieces
- Put it back together